The UNB Ironmen Alumni, in collaboration with the Ironmen coaching staff and the UNB Alumni Association are spearheading a number of initiatives to ensure the Ironmen Rugby tradition continues. Your financial aid will help support the following short term and long term initiatives.
The short term initiatives identified for 2015 include the following:
- Purchase of a scrum machine to enhance training
- Support team travel within University League and Eastern Canadian Championships (when necessary)
- Increase the amount of scholarships available. In 2015 a second scholarship will be added for a high student who has been accepted to UNB. This student will receive $2,000 and be selected based on financial need and past rugby experience.
- Improvements to existing infrastructure at College Field and ensuring that this grass field is available for rugby in the future.
The items listed above are representative of the types of expenses the RFC club incurs each year. Funds raised through the RFC alumni go towards supporting these initiatives. The RFC Alumni executive work closely with the coaching staff to set priorities at the beginning of each new season and adjust throughout the year when required.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the alumni executive members.
The long term initiatives include:
- Establishment of a second student award/bursary to be awarded annually to a first year UNB Ironmen student
- The UNB Rugby Alumni is in discussion with the university to determine the long term vision for college field and what options are available to the alumni to ensure there is a green “non-turf” field available in the long term.
- Support implementation of a student exchange program that will encourage a university in the UK, NZ, Australia or SA to do Rugby/Study exchanges
These long term initiatives are by definition more involved and are just at the very early conception stage. We need to work with UNB to determine the level of interest within the University and the level of financial commitment required for these undertakings. Sub-committees are or will be established to spearhead these longer term goals.
If you have any questions regarding these longer term initiatives or would like to be involved in the direction they head please contact one of the alumni executive members.